Cool weather means its time for tasty Bermuda pumpkin soup. Local grocery stores and farmer markets are stacked high with Bermuda pumpkin. This is the season for both sweet potato and pumpkin. This soup would be great for a delicious meal on cool evenings. This recipe is very simple to make. Providing you choose the right pieces of pumpkin your soup will not require any thickening agent to make it smooth.
Choosing the right Bermuda pumpkin pieces is probably the hardest part. Firstly, you must select chunky pieces and if possible choose pieces that are deep orange in color. As a result, the deeper orange color means the sweeter the pumpkin. The sweeter the pumpkin results in a tasty pumpkin soup.
Pumpkin provides so many health benefits. If you are desiring to shed pounds add pumpkin to your diet. Because of the anti-inflammatory properties found in this delicious vegetable, it can help improve symptoms of arthritis. In addition to the anti-inflammatory properties Vitamin A can be found in high amounts. As a result, Vitamin A helps keep eyesight sharp, and provides lots of antioxidants that protect the body. Pumpkin is packed with potassium. As a result the potassium helps to lower blood pressure. Being high in vitamin C this will help increase collagen production and immunity in our bodies keeping our skin tight and less prone to sickness.
Ingredients for Tasty Pumpkin Soup
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 5-6 large pieces of pumpkin
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley (optional)
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 tsp of red chilli pepper flakes
- 1 tsp of hemp seeds
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 tsp of celery seeds
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- several fresh twigs of thyme
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- In large pot, add oil, garlic and onion to pot. Sautee for about 2 minutes.
- Next add in the pumpkin pieces and slightly brown the sides. once this is complete add the broth to pot.
- Add the cinnamon, brown sugar, peppercorns, red chilli pepper flakes, hemp and celery seed to the pot. Stir until evenly disbursed in broth. Last add the fresh thyme sprigs to pot.
- Cook on medium to low heat for 45 minutes
- Once cooked, remove in small batches to your blender. Blend until smooth. Once all the soup has been blended add back to pot and stir.
- Serve while hot, sprinkle with parsley, with fresh bread rolls.