Indulge in moist lemon pound cake next time you have the girls over for tea. This is a favorite in Bermuda during afternoon tea. Its sweet refreshing taste brings the right amount of delight with each bite. Most hotels on the island offer afternoon tea but it is not uncommon to find it in local homes. Lemon pound cake is a Bermudian favorite often available during Christmas and Easter holidays. This most lemon cake can also be covered with butter cream icing and served as a birthday or anniversary cake. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delicious treat! You can also enjoy brownies and coffee rolls during afternoon tea.
Health Benefits of Lemon Pound Cake
Despite the name, moist lemon cake doesn’t really need that many lemons. In fact the juice from two lemons is all you need. Its acidic properties are lessened with the addition of sugar. The recipe calls for the juice of two lemons which will cause this cake to have its sweet citrus taste. Consuming this tangy juice provides your body with vitamin C which is beneficial to boost your immunity. Freshly squeezed lemon juice can help soothe an upset stomach. To maximize the health benefits add fresh ginger to the tart juice tea.
If you drink a glass of warm freshly squeezed lemon juice daily it can help with weight loss. The flavonoid compounds found in this fruit can actually help fight against certain types of cancers present in the body. Regular consumption of lemons ensures cancer cell prevention. Lemons can also help with improving liver function by flushing out the harmful toxins from your body. Not bad for this little yellow sour fruit. Lemon pound cake is a good way to get in those extra doses of lemons.
Lemon Cake Ingredients:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 2 ½ lemons
- 5 eggs
- 1 ¾ cups of sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup of butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 packet of vanilla pudding
Lemon Glaze Ingredients:
Juice of 1 lemon and ¾ cup of sugar
- Preheat oven to 325° F, grease with Crisco and flour baking pan. Prepare lemons
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until creamy
- Next, stir in the flour, baking powder and salt. Add in the soft butter, lemon juice, lemon zest and packet of vanilla pudding.
- Once mixed together add cake batter to greased baking pan and bake 2 hours or until knife comes out clean. Once lemon cake has cooked remove from pan, poke holes on top with fork and then drizzle lemon sugar glaze on top.
- Allow the moist lemon cake to cool before serving.