Try a coffee roll for breakfast next time you want a sweet indulgence. In Bermuda these cinnamon roll are favorites for breakfast or lunch. Most popular is to have a coffee roll with cheddar cheese melted in the middle for breakfast. Another popular way to enjoy the bun is to have your hamburger, with all the trimmings, between one. There will be little room for anything else once you’ve eaten a burger on a coffee roll. My preference is to have it served warm so that the icing on top is dripping off the sides. In my opinion it needs nothing else added except your favorite cup of warm beverage.
As you can imagine a cinnamon roll isn’t your healthiest option for breakfast. But it does contain a secret ingredient that is good for your health and that is cinnamon. This spice is commonly used to add flavor to sauces, breakfast cereals, baked goods, curries and teas. It is also high in anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties which makes it frequently used in Chinese herbal medicines. Cinnamon comes from tree bark and the distinct flavor comes from essential oils, known as cinnamaldehyde, found in those same tree barks. Antioxidants found in this spice protect the body from harmful diseases. Did you know that cinnamon can also reduce blood pressure? Albeit it isn’t a permanent reduction but any reduction in blood pressure is a good thing.
How to Make a Coffee Roll
Making a coffee roll is fairly straight forward. Be prepared to do some kneading but other than that it is simple to make. You will need the following:
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 stick of butter
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 package of quick rise yeast
- 1/4 of water
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 2 eggs and 2 egg yolks
- 4 ½ cups of flour
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup of raisins (optional)
- Add ½ cup of milk, 1 stick of butter and ¾ cup of sugar to small pot. On low heat melt ingredients together. Set aside and allow to cool
- Mix in separate bowl, yeast, lukewarm water and tsp of sugar. Allow yeast to ferment. This is done when bubbles are seen on top. While fermenting mix 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks together with melted ingredients and fermented yeast.
- Fold in flour into batter. Then on lightly floured surface bring dough together and knead for about 5 minutes. Cover and place dough in warm area to rise and double in size.
- Remove dough from bowl, punch down and cut into half. With a rolling pin roll out each half and brush with melted butter. In a sperate small bowl mix together cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins then sprinkle over each half.
- Roll up each half and cut into 3 inch pieces. Place each coffee roll onto a greased pan, cover and allow to rise in warm area. When doubled in size place in oven to bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, place on rack to cool. Once cooled add vanilla icing or sugar wash to top and serve.