White bean soup is a warm way to get protein into your body. These little white legumes are a great compliment to those cold, damp winter days and here in Bermuda. Pair it with warm slice of Portuguese egg bread with melted butter for a real tasty meal. For those on diets, add white bean soup to the menu to fight food cravings. White beans are legumes. Legumes are excellent sources of protein instead of meat. Legumes of any kind are top choice for vegetarians. Not only are these little white legumes good for protein, they are also loaded with calcium. Our bodies need calcium to increase bone health and strength.
Is this a healthy food?
White beans offer great health benefits because reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes and dementia. They are good sources of vitamins C, B6, fiber, iron, magnesium and folate therefore protecting our bodies from damage.
Another helpful benefit to adding these white legumes to your diet is that it improves digestion which results in weight loss. As a result of the high protein levels it keeps hunger pangs at bay. You tend to stay fuller much longer. When we are feeling full we eat less. Eating less will result in weight loss. Weight loss is achievable because white beans have a low glycemic index therefore it assists with keeping blood sugar levels under control. Not only will your body look and feel younger, your skin will appear healthy as well. Simply adding creamy white bean soup to your weekly menu can be extremely beneficial to your body and well being.
Creamy White Bean Soup recipe
- 6 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 2 cups of white beans
- 1 roughly chopped onion
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 garlic clove roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- pinch of red pepper flakes and parsley
- 1 tsp hemp seed, celery seed, and thyme
- In a large pot add oil, garlic and onions. Sautee until onions are cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of white beans to pot. If you are using canned white beans drain first before adding. If you are using raw, be sure to soak them for at least 6-8 hours before using. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock. Add red pepper flakes, black peppercorns, hemp seed, celery seed and fresh thyme to pot. Stir in all ingredients.
- Reduce heat to medium and boil for about 40 minutes. Remove from pot and pour into blender. blend together until thick and creamy. If the desired texture hasn’t been reached simply add half cup heavy cream
- Serve warm with freshly chopped parsley for garnish.