My kids love rustic pizza. They would eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let them! The problem is they want it more often than I am willing to purchase. Therefore I had to master a quick pizza recipe to meet this demand. I have learned that to achieve the best brick oven pizza taste at home, you must use a pizza stone.
It is funny to think that pizza can deliver health benefits, but it does. Its all in the ingredient toppings. For example, tomato sauce delivers rich antioxidants to our bodies. Antioxidants reduce heart disease and certain cancers found in the body. Adding green pepper and spinach to your toppings increases the levels of antioxidants in one bite!
Mozzarella cheese provides a healthy dose of calcium for our bones and pearly whites. It is low in calories, lower in sodium than other cheeses and contains enough protein to keep you full in between meals. This Southern Italian cheese is biotin and potassium rich which is good for prevention of brittle nails and reduced blood pressure. Did you know that it can also be used to treat migraines?! The riboflavin found in the cheese, supports the body in working against diseases like a migraine!
Benefits of using a Pizza Stone
The number one benefit of using a pizza stone is that the results taste just like a brick oven pizza. The trick is to make sure the stone is incredibly hot. I had to play around with different temperatures and times with my oven before I found the right settings to get the stone hot enough.
When the stone is hot it will cook the bottom crust while the oven temperatures cook the top. The result tastes amazing. Just keep in mind when using the pizza stone you have to move fast because it will not retain the high heat for long. If your stone isn’t hot enough before cooking the pizza the bottom crust will not cook properly.
Rustic Pizza Dough Ingredients:
- 3-4 cups of flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3 tbsp of olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp of dried rosemary and thyme
- Rapid Rise Yeast Packet (1)
- 1 cup of warm water
- Place pizza stone in oven and pre-heat oven to 500° F.
- Add your dough hook attachment to your kitchen aid mixer.
- Combine all ingredients listed above to Kitchen aid mixer bowl. Mix until soft dough forms. Use extra flour if still a bit wet.
- Once dough is formed add to floured counter surface and knead for about 5 mins.
- Form dough into a ball and place in bowl covered in a warm area to allow the dough to rise.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, punch center and form pizza crust.
- Add pizza crust to pre-heated pizza stone and add toppings.
- Place pizza on top of the stone and add your toppings.
- Finally, place the pizza with pizza stone into the oven and cook until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven, cut and serve.