Bermuda banana bread is a favorite among quite a few Bermudians. However moist banana bread is not always achieved. This recipe will help you achieve moist banana bread each time you use the recipe. The most common banana grown in Bermuda is originally came from the Canary Islands. In addition to that the first bunch of bananas in England came from Bermuda.
Since bananas ripen all year round, they are one of the staples of Bermudian diet. Some prefer walnuts sprinkled on top; therefore, it is not uncommon to find this version in restaurants and bakeries. However, if you are like me and enjoy a baked good for breakfast, like scones, muffins or coffee rolls that are easy to make, this is a recipe for you!
The most important thing to keep in mind when achieving moist banana bread is the condition of the bananas when you go to use them. For example, bananas come in different color variations and knowing what each one means will help you yield a moist outcome. Traditionally in Bermuda we use over ripe bananas.
Know your banana colors
Over ripe bananas show small amounts of a deep yellow, but majority of the fruit is black and likely soft. If its oozing banana juice, even better! When the bananas have reached this stage in their maturity they are loaded with natural sugar. Unfortunately, at this stage they also contain the least amount of fiber. It is the high sugar content the reason why we use them in this recipe.
On the other hand, if you choose to use the bananas when they are greenish yellow you will obtain the high fiber content but loose on the sugar because at this stage the banana is not quite ready. Completely green bananas will give you the highest number of probiotics for good gut health, but the fruit is bitter and contains the highest levels of starch. Mind you there are people who enjoy eating a green banana which is fine, but they are not the best bananas to use for this recipe. When it comes to Bermuda banana bread use overripe to achieve the best results.
For the following moist banana bread recipe, you will need a kitchen aid mixer, or handheld mixer, glass mixing bowl, rubber spatula and two loaf pans. Bread use over ripe for the best results.
Ingredients for Moist Banana Bread
- 2 cups of mashed over ripe Bermuda bananas
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of baking powder/ baking soda
- 2 tsp of vanilla essence
- chopped walnuts (optional)
- If you are using Bermuda bananas mash about 12 of them; if you are using larger bananas mash 4 or 5 bananas
- In your kitchen aid mixer, add the mashed bananas, oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla essence and mix until well blended.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking power, baking soda together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the mixer and mix until fully blended.
- Pour the batter into two greased loaf pans; fill each pan halfway with batter; sprinkle walnuts on top
- Place in oven for 1 hour on top rack.